Configure Canada Free PPTP VPN account in Linux based Open Source DD-WRT routers
FreeCanadaVPN.COM access can be used in varies routers, the most powerful router system is the open source DD-WRT project.
- Suppose users already flushed router with DD-WRT firmware, by default the router’s local IP address is 192.168.1.1. To check if routers are compatible with DD-WRT, please search DD-WRT database at http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database;
- Connect to the router using either an Ethernet cable, or by joining the wireless network ‘dd-wrt’. Open a web browser to access http://192.168.1.1;
- Now Configure your DD-WRT router to get internet connection first.
- Go to Setup then select Basic Setup – Under Connection Type select PPTP, Under Use DHCP select Yes;
- Under Gateway (PPTP Server) enter “FreeCanadaVPN.COM” as the server hostname. Under User Name enter the Free Canada VPN username, under Password enter Free VPN password.
- Now make sure to Enable PPTP Encryption, Disable STP, MTU change to Manual and set to 1460 as value.
- Enable DHCP Server and uncheck all three checkboxes for ‘Use DNSMasq for DNCP’, ‘Use DNSMasq for DNS’ and ‘DHCP-Authoritative’, apply Settings
- Click on Security then Firewall and set to Disabled SPI Firewall.
- Click on Security then click on VPN Passthrough and enable PPTP Passthrough, apply Settings.
- Click on Administration Tab scroll down and click on Reboot Router.
- After the router will reboot it should connect to the VPN automatically, now you can check the connection status by going to Status -> WAN tab. If Login Status say Connected then it’s OK, if not click to connect wait for abut 30 seconds and check if your IP has been changed by visiting www.whatismyip.com.